But according to the annual "Vacation Deprivation" survey from Expedia.ca, on average Canadians left three of their earned vacation days unused this year, mostly due to workload or financial constraints.
And how do they feel about missing those days? Not pleased — in fact, respondents indicated they would like an additional 11.5 vacation days per year, and more than half consider themselves "vacation deprived."
As it stands now, more than a quarter of survey respondents go a year or longer without taking a break, and 36 percent go six months or more without a vacation.
So where do Canadians like to travel to when they do finally have the chance to get away? To beach destinations, of course.
"Vacation time can be considered a major stress reliever with a range of benefits for both our physical and mental well-being, including lower blood pressure and reduced anxiety," says Beverly Beuermann-King, a Canadian work-life balance expert.
"So it's no surprise Canadians consider beach destinations a top choice to spend their vacation time, because an all-inclusive beach destination can help you more fully relax your mind and body – from the relaxing environment the ocean provides, to the range of services many resorts offer to ensure you're making the most of your holiday."
The survey was conducted in late August by Northstar, a globally integrated strategic insights consulting firm.
3-Night Vacation Deals
Since we can't stand the thought of Canadians (or any beach-loving travelers for that matter) feeling vacation deprived, here's a roundup of three-night escapes ideal for claiming those unused days. Starting fares are listed in American dollars:
• From Aeromexico Vacations - Mexico All-Inclusive: Flights + 3 Nights at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, starting at $884
• From CheapCaribbean - Riviera Maya: Air + 3 Nights at All-Inclusive Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar, starting at $419
• From JetBlue Vacations - Bermuda: Flights + 3 Nights of Ocean Views from Private Resort Beach, starting at $539
• From JetBlue Vacations - Orlando: Flights + 3 Nights at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort, starting at $519
• From CheapCruises.com - Nassau & CocoCay: Sail 3 Nights to Bahamas from Ft. Lauderdale, starting at $249